DAYLIGHT AND VERIFIED INCREASED SALES
A report performed by Heschong Mahone Group for the California Energy Commission, whose methods and results were confirmed by Lawrence Berkley
Laboratories has verified the facts listed below. For the entire report please visit h-m-g.com.
Some of the most important verifications were:
- Daylighting was found to have as much explanatory power in predicting increases in retail sales as other traditional methods of parking areas,
number of local competitors and neighborhood demographics.
- The value of energy savings from daylighting is far overshadowed by the value of increased sales: by the most conservative estimate of at least
19 times, and more likely, by 45-100 times.
- During the California power crisis, when all stores were operating at ½ lighting power, daylit stores increased sales 5.5% over non-daylit stores.
- Daylit stores were found to have 1-2% increase in the number of transactions per month.
- The average effect on retail sales was 0-6%. Maximum benefit was up to 40%.
- More useful hours of daylight in a store were associated with greater increases in sales.
- Employees reported higher satisfaction with lighting quality than those in non-daylit stores.
- Store managers reported no increase in maintenance attributed to the skylights. [All stores were equipped with Bristolite’s trouble free, Energy
Star skylights. Traditional skylights can be significant problems].
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE REPORT. THERE IS ALSO LOTS OF OTHER VALUABLE INFORMATION REGARDING RETAIL SALES.
Paul L. Dudley
National Daylighting Manager